Friday 30 November 2012

Not not-gaming

I'm on a roll of gaming, thereby somewhat undermining the raison d'etre of the blog. However, being a stoic (A stoic? Who am I kidding? I am the stoic's stoic) I shall just have to man up and persevere.

I have acquired a copy of 'A Blood-Red Banner: The Alamo' by Victory Point Games (available in the UK from www.boardgameguru.co.uk) and damn fine it is too. Yeehaw etc.

It's a solitaire game and basically one plays the Texians and has to try - and fail - to defend the Alamo from Santa Anna and the Mexicans. The best I have managed so far is a Texian moral victory using the Jim Bowie optional rule. Without that rule it is a series of crushing Mexican wins. However, as what must be a sign of it being a good game, that doesn't make it any less enjoyable. It's quick to set up, different every time and only takes about 20 minutes. What's not to like?

I own a copy of 'Field Commander: Napoleon', but have struggled to get into it. I've no doubt that it's excellent, but it's just so big and takes so much time to set up and play. Until my wargaming mojo fully returns I shall be trying out some more Victory Point titles. 'Zulus on the Ramparts' looks tempting.

No comments:

Post a Comment