Thursday 14 March 2013

Same-same, but different...

...as they say in Thailand.



It seems to me that one sure way of identifying a good set of wargames rules is if you can refight the same battle and end up with a radically different game. On that basis 'Hell Broke Loose' rules for the Italian Wars are, like all Piquet and Piquet derived rules that I've ever played, excellent. I'm not suffering the same degree of Cerignola fatigue that James and Peter obviously are so I thoroughly enjoyed another futile French assault last night. It wouldn't be fair to describe the scenario as balanced - which is always the problem with refighting historical battles - but for both sides there it always looks as if that huge Swiss pike block will inevitably sweep all before it; and then it never does.

James had made a number of adverse changes to the French deck; entirely coincidentally now that he was playing the Spanish. He had also put the French skirmishers into deep formation. I thought this an improvement as they could now shoot far more often. I was in a minority of one though because the majority (and expert) view was that this was over-ruled by that they now couldn't actually shoot very well.

Anyway, as I said I rather enjoyed the first part of the game and look forward to its conclusion; however forgone that might be.


No comments:

Post a Comment