Wednesday 15 May 2013

Oh no, it's politics again

My blog posts about politics are by far the least popular and so it must be time for another one. As it happens I have had a bit of a week for political meetings. First there was a lecture on "The Capitalist Crisis: A Marxist Analysis". Now this was a very insightful run through the events of 2007 onwards delivered in a fluent and entertaining manner. The word Marx was however completely absent throughout as was any sort of Marxist interpretation that I could see. Keynesianism was there in plenty (although his name didn't crop up either), but Charlie didn't surf.

In any society based on the economic exploitation of one class by another, a political struggle between those classes is inevitable

 Subsequently I attended a round table discussion at Leeds Metropolitan University on the legacy of Margaret Thatcher. Now, she was mentioned, but not very often at all over the course of two hours. Possibly, it occurs to me, the reason for the left's failure to come up with an answer to neo-liberalism is their inability to stick to the matter in hand. The most intriguing idea that came up in the discussion was the idea that the 'state' funeral was the right's response to Danny Boyle's Olympic opening ceremony.


As for me: "I can't go on. I'll go on."


No comments:

Post a Comment