Friday 21 November 2014

Pot35pouri

Life has become rather complex at the Casa Epictetus, as it does sometimes when I get carried away. However, there has been a certain amount of reportable action including the next installment of the Seven Years War game chez James. More fun, although my success was as limited as the initiative that I won. The low point was rolling a 1 on a D12 when I was plus 5. Still, it wasn't looking good before we started so it doesn't really look much worse as we enter the home straight.


On the boardgame front I played Evolution and Pastiche, both of which get the thumbs up from me, although I really don't understand the relevance of the name of the latter, and being colour blind doesn't help either.


Now, the clicks on the site go down whenever I mention politics, but as they are bumping along at pretty much zero it doesn't matter a great deal. So, weighing in on the controversy du jour, can I say that anyone draping the England flag from their windows is at best a simpleton and at worst a fascist and that they deserve all the sneering they get. The fact that we're no longer allowed to laugh at these racist thickoes is political correctness gone mad.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm ! that looks a very uncomfortable piece of clothing , Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm inclined to agree with Austin Mitchell on this one. The great irony of all this is that the Labour leadership is (understandably) pussyfooting around a story at the centre of which is a party renowned for doing well by being distinctly non-PC. The sort of people on the Right squealing about offence being caused are usually quick to jump on "the PC Brigade"* when they complain about something offensive.

    * That's a unit which is just crying out to be deployed in a 21st Century VBCW game to fight alongside the Guardianistas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not offended by people hanging flags of St George from their windows; I simply take the view that those who do should expect to be the object of derision. Anyone who does so during a by-election fought primarily about immigration has either reached Dave Whelan like levels of insensitivity or has voluntarily outed themselves as a bigot like, er, Dave Whelan. In either case he deserves to be roundly abused and not - are you listening Ed Milliband? - shown 'respect'.

      And contrasting the fact that the British Union of Fascists only ever managed to win one election - they gained a local councillor in Suffolk - with the record of their spiritual heirs in UKIP, I suspect that a 21st century VBCW is somewhat more likely than than the 1930s version ever was.

      Delete
    2. To those who find it offensive to the indigenous working class (which includes me) I say, try the neighbour test. "How would you feel if this was your neighbour?"

      Delete