Friday 10 April 2015

Milton Keynes Still Ain't Much of a Town

I have been back to Milton Keynes and, apart from the sun shining, it was much the same as when I left it. However there have been better times at the Casa Epictetus, some of which I feel in the mood to share.

I went to see 'Feast of Fiddles', whom I have reviewed here a couple of times. They remain rather fine, opening this time with the theme from Mission Impossible and covering the usual blend of folk, rock, jazz, and yet more film themes in their own style. I had suggested seeing them to someone and was relieved when she really liked them, because they are somewhat idiosyncratic. So, recommended, but with a caveat.



Only one boardgame was played and that was Bohnanza which is of course a card game. I hadn't played it for a long time had forgotten how much I liked it.

Wargaming took place in the annexe. James, or more accurately his wife Lucy, is hors de combat and so I took the French forces against Peter's Prussians in the Dennewitz scenario from the C&C Napoleonics Expansion 4. While setting it up I was struck by how lopsided it looked and having drawn the French I expected to lose. However, I won by dint of the usual route in this game; I managed to draw cards that were useful. In particular with small hand sizes there is limited scope for building a hand before launching a co-ordinated manoeuvre. It did highlight the importance of well placed artillery and the use of them in Combined Arms attacks.


No comments:

Post a Comment