Thursday 15 February 2018

Ashes of Life

        
Love has gone and left me and the days are all alike; 
Eat I must, and sleep I will, - and would that night were here! 
But ah! - to lie awake and hear the slow hours strike! 
Would that it were day again! - with twilight near! 

Love has gone and left me and I don't know what to do; 
This or that or what you will is all the same to me; 
But all the things that I begin I leave before I'm through, - 
There's little use in anything as far as I can see. 

Love has gone and left me, - and the neighbours knock and borrow, 
And life goes on forever like the gnawing of a mouse, - 
And to-morrow and to-morrow and to-morrow and to-morrow 
There's this little street and this little house. 

-          Edna St. Vincent Millay

No comments:

Post a Comment