Friday 23 June 2023

PotCXXIpouri - slight return

 Just continuing with the catch up from my absence I have a couple of things to get off my chest:

Firstly, I had assumed that the minimal coverage, and lack of humanity in that coverage, of refugee deaths in the Mediterranean was down to the innate racism of the British press. However, given the pages and pages of reporting on the plight of a few hubristic billionaires paying the price for their ghoulishness even though, shock horror, they weren't all white, I have changed my mind. Clearly the issue is class: the lives of poor people simply don't matter as much as those of rich people.

Secondly there has been a furore about a new film alleging that Jeremy Corbyn was ousted as leader of the Labour Party as the result of a conspiracy. Now, I haven't seen this film, doubt very much that I will bother, and have a very sceptical view of conspiracy theories in general. Indeed if you want my opinion - and believe me you're going to get it even if you don't - JC's biggest problem was the self-inflicted and all-to-common one for politicians of out-staying his welcome. The hoo-hah regarding the film is centred on it apparently implying that some of those involved in this so-called conspiracy were Jewish. If there is any conspiracy going on it's the one that increasingly says that neither Jewish people nor Israel can ever be criticised regardless of what they do, without fingers being pointed and hyperbolic accusations of anti-Semitism made.

Let's finish on a lighter note. I have been to Barnsley for what I believe is the first time ever. Slightly to my surprise I found it to be a very pleasant place. I intend to revisit it soon to check out an upcoming exhibition at the municipal art gallery. In the meantime here is a statue of one of the town's most famous sons:




1 comment:

  1. I can't quite agree with you on the first point but I certainly do on the second. If Britain had reacted to terrorism from the Irish Republic the way Israel reacts to almost anything originating or even marginally linked to any if it's Arab neighbours, the workd would have gone berserk!
    I have never been to Barnsley either, so can't comment on that.....

    ReplyDelete