Sunday 9 June 2024

Sad News

It is with a heavy heart that I pass on news of the death of Peter, my friend and wargaming colleague of twenty years or more. With cruel irony he was the youngest and, until his illness, the fittest and most active of our small group. My thoughts are very much with Heather and his family.

Readers of this blog are ideally placed to understand how unimportant wargaming is in the scheme of things. And yet, Peter had been wargaming, painting and collecting for fifty years; it was part of who he was (although quite a bit lower in his hobby priorities than horses if truth be told). With that in mind I take some comfort from the last game he played having been the best that any of us had been involved in for a long time, a backwards and forwards tussle with matters undecided until late on the fourth evening. His condition deteriorated shortly after that and neither he nor the rest of us have played since. 

The other interest shared by Peter and me was music. This remained hidden for many years after we first met, until one night I found myself quoting Tom Russell lyrics at the wargames table, as one does. He picked up on that and, our common taste having been established, he introduced me to the fine covers of Russell's songs recorded by Gretchen Peters. We ended up attending gigs together when both artists next visited the UK and I know that I shan't be able to listen to either of them in future without thinking of my friend. As a suitably elegiac way to commemorate that musical bond here is Russell's 'Guadalupe' beautifully sung by Peters:



5 comments:

  1. I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend, thank you for telling us about Peter. Blessed be his memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend and wargaming comrade , Tony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad news indeed, sorry to hear that. Keep those happy gaming and music memories. Thanks for Tom Russell; had never heard of him but it turns out I have a couple of his songs on Nanci Griffith albums. I will have to find out more..

    ReplyDelete