Thursday 2 January 2014

"Don't forget your great guns,"


Said this blog's increasingly go to quotation man before continuing "which are the most respectable arguments of the rights of kings."

The Russian commanders

The first wargame of the new year was the same one as the last of the old year. Once again in command of the Prussians I continued my assault on the hill once again with astonishing success. The same couldn’t be said of the cavalry action on the other flank where two units of cuirassiers were seen off by three units of Cossacks and a unit of hussars got pretty much blown away while charging in, although it did then win the subsequent melee against a unit of grenadiers; it was that sort of night with the dice. The luck was actually fairly evenly spread. I turned three cavalry move cards in a row to get into a good position, but then rolled rubbish when the melees happened. C’est la vie. And I managed to prolong both my batteries right to the top of the hill (where they have already started to do damage) despite not turning all my cards in either of the turns that we played. I also had some terrible rolls while trying to rally units and now don’t have enough morale left to try any more. Basically the result will hinge on whether my morale runs out before either of us fails Major Morale.


James shows off his birthday present

We took it at a fairly leisurely pace as we were also marking James’ 50th birthday which had occurred on New Year’s Eve. So congratulations and best wishes to him with the advice that perhaps that’s enough celebrating for 2014.

1 comment:

  1. EPICTESTES,
    Got a great chuckle from your muse. I hope not to speak for everyone as that is not my place, but wish to request you pass on best birthday wishes to Mr. Roach to his half century milestone. I love his website ( and yours) and look forward to each new entry from that epicenter of gaming, NW of Leeds!
    Respectfully,
    Gum-Dunny ;)

    ReplyDelete