Wednesday 18 February 2015

That's no way to run a railroad

"It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest." - Adam Smith

Having pointed out in my last post that I was temporarily relying on a tablet to access Blogger, the aforementioned tablet promptly stopped working. Having eventually figured out how to discuss the subject with Amazon - and given that their customer service is actually rather good, why do they make it so difficult to access it? - I was a bit baffled by their response. They declined to replace the item, which is what I wanted, but instead offered me a refund and asked me to re-order separately. The price has dropped in the six weeks since I bought it, so in effect Amazon have replaced my faulty kit and refunded me £40.

All of which put me in mind of a visit that I made to Sainsbury's last weekend. I bought £20.20 worth of groceries, but had so many money-off vouchers that I only had to pay £1.70. The supermarket is currently running a promotion whereby when one's Nectar card is scanned one can win bonus points. I duly won £5. So, I walked away with stuff to the value of more than £20 and in effect they gave me £3.30 for my trouble.

Seeing as these two large organisations seem intent on giving me things, I shall offer them some free professional advice in return. Speaking as an accountant, the only way to make a profit is to take more money from the customer than you give him or her. That is all.


No comments:

Post a Comment