Friday 20 March 2015

Großbeeren

"Ein Optimist ist ein Mensch, der ein Dutzend Austern bestellt, in der Hoffnung, sie mit der Perle, die er darin findet, bezahlen zu können." - Theodore Fontane

 

But that's enough about the budget. And the solar eclipse was just as bad. It's tough being a blogger sometimes. I have just received a very nice compliment from this blog's faithful though irregular reader in Luxembourg. If only he knew the struggle I go through. Within the last few weeks there was a period where so little happened that I had to resort to writing about the wok that I bought for £1.50. And as a digression I have to say that the non-stick coating on that wok has turned out to be not of the highest quality. But today I am so replete with things to write about I don't even have to mention the disaster that I just had with a jar of pickled onions.


Instead I am going to briefly cover Wednesday's game of C&C Napoleonics where we tried out the Prussian expansion by playing the Großbeeren scenario. Or rather because Peter got all the right cards - especially a series of Bombard cards - and rolled all the right dice we never really discovered how the new rules worked. It's still a good game though. Indeed I have it on reasonably reliable authority that Charles Grant plays nothing else. Stick that, old schoolers.

2 comments:

  1. My wife wouldn't let me watch the Conservative budget as my bad language disturbs the dog ! . A annoyance of mine is when people print foreign quotations without a translation (having Del boys grasp of languages ) and I have to slink away and do a translation with 'Bing' or the like , Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't admit it's annoying, it just encourages him.

    ReplyDelete