Sunday 1 May 2016

Chestnuts in blossom

 "If one oversteps the bounds of moderation, the greatest pleasures cease to please." - Epictetus



I haven't quoted my namesake in a while, and having done so now I'm not sure that what he said was literally true. However, there wasn't as much boardgaming as usual in April because I must confess to having got a little jaded with it, so he wasn't all wrong either. There was still a little bit of boardgaming and here it is:

6 nimmt!: Some people find it a bit random, but I don't mind that aspect so much.

Between Two Cities: Completely pointless game which takes far longer to score than it does to play.

Broom Service: Well it won an award so it must have something, but I'm stuffed if I could see what. It involves pre-programming like the previous award winner Colt Express, but where in that case it could be funny when your plans went awry, here it was just annoying.

Caylus: A complicated worker placement game that has been superseded by more recent, dare one say better, designs.

Code777: Do not play this very late at night when your brain isn't working.

Condottiere: As usual this proved very popular with those who hadn't played it before.

Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Rumble at Castle Tentakill: What a terrible name, but it's actually quite an acceptable game. The theme is neither here nor there; it's an interesting combination of linked action and push your luck.

Ice Flow: As you know I like this game, but like it even better when I win, which I did in an astonishing comeback from nowhere. I certainly wasn't jaded with this one.

Jungle Speed: Snap. As in, this game is basically Snap.

K2: Another one that is always welcome. I think what this and Ice Flow have in common (apart from snow) is that the mechanics are unlike the standard worker placement/area control type Euro. They do have resource management, but it's deployed in an unusual manner.

Kingsburg: I thought this might have something to do with the Konigsberg Bridge Problem, but it doesn't. Shame. It's a dice game that is ultimately too random and too long.

Quadropolis: Sort of like Between Two Cities, only good.

Two Rooms and a Boom: Like all hidden role games one has to care; I don't. This one is a party game for children who are now old enough to go in pubs on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment