Tuesday 3 May 2016

Measurable progress in a reasonable time

 "Genius begins great works, labour alone finishes them." - Joseph Joubert
 
My bank holiday didn't work out as I had hoped, but that - and the terrible weather - freed up a bit of painting time. I have never been one of those who are so far on top of what they have painted that they can report the monthly aggregates in detail (1). I equally admire those who paint to such a fixed schedule that they can announce to the world that they have finished, even those such as James whose self-congratulatory blog posting about completion of a project is immediately followed by another containing details of what else they are planning to buy for that self same project. I myself prefer the approach favoured by the British general staff over the years: I prepare to refight the last war. Having packed away the Romans and Celts, and bearing in mind that they are unlikely to see the light of day for quite some time, I have nevertheless interrupted the WWI production line to do some more Roman dismounted leaders, some casualty markers and another unit of legionaries. However, just to prove that there has been a little bit of progress and also as a terrain try out, here are some German infantry moving across broken ground:



Notice how the homemade hex has been cunningly painted to blend invisibly with the Kallistra stuff. I've now done perhaps two thirds of the requirements for the first scenario in the Lardies' book. I've also made a 7.6cm minenwerfer, which sadly isn't needed, but haven't done the machine gun that is. As I say, I've always admired those who can paint to a plan. The Maxim will feature after the Roman interlude along with a few more German riflemen, a section of British rifle grenadiers and some gaming aids.


There have also been a couple of comments regarding the WWI strongpoint featured here recently, with 'Caveadsum' suggesting it all looked a bit phallic. Thankfully Crumb has a purer mind and merely observed that the type of thing shown in the picture was much more to her taste than crap chariots; no doubt she was referring to the paint job.

(1) For the record, the reason I can list the boardgames that I play every month is that boardgamegeek does all the work for me. For the record I've played a couple of absolute stinkers already this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment