Saturday 22 June 2019

Don't mistake activity for achievement

"I always arrive late at the office, but I make up for it by leaving early." - Charles Lamb

I'm just popping back in to point out that this work lark is all a bit inconvenient. Still, what I am doing has a moderate Secret Squirrel element which always adds an exotic air. On top of which from where I am hot-desking I can see a chap in a white lab coat performing experiments with various pieces of apparatus, thus confirming that I am indeed at the cutting edge of science and technology. He hasn't yet held a test-tube or beaker up to the light to examine its contents, but it can only be a matter of time.




It has however given me a chance to visit the RSC again, although once again not to see any Shakespeare. Instead I saw Thomas Otway's 1682 play 'Venice Preserved'. This was written not long after women had replaced boys in playing female roles and the programme points out that playwrights had just begun to create parts to specifically address this. One change that they hadn't made from Elizabethan and Jacobean times was leaving anyone still alive at the end. As we rose to go for the traditional interval ice cream I heard a man behind me say "It won't end well", and he wasn't wrong.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment