Saturday 13 July 2019

Hatt' ich auch recht hübsch Plaisir!

"That's one trouble with dual identities, Robin. Dual responsibilities." - Batman (*)




And so to the opera. I have returned to Leeds from Derbyshire, but an opera buff never tires of his opera bouff. So, another day, another operetta; this time 'Die Fledermaus'. Set in the roaring twenties with one slightly odd costume nod to the Ladyboys of Bangkok (in an interesting casting choice Prince Orlofsky was played by a man rather than a mezzo en travesti), it was good stuff and the singing in particular rather put the previous day's Offenbach in the shade.

I could personally live without the drunken antics of Frosch (although I would really like to have seen Frankie Howerd's take on it for the ENO) and I do hope that the actor involved really is Scottish otherwise there were some quite unpleasant racial stereotypes being displayed. But the staging was imaginative, the acting and singing was very good, and the dancing made me think that perhaps I'm not too bad on my feet after all. 


(*) The Adam West one obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment