Tuesday 2 March 2021

Severe Rain

"Shortly afterwards it started raining, very innocently at first, but the sky was packed tight with cloud and gradually the drops grew bigger and heavier, until it was autumn’s dismal rain that was falling—rain that seemed to fill the entire world with its leaden beat..." - Haldor Laxness

Turn five was bookended by disaster. The first happened in real life when I knocked a whole load of stuff on to the floor. Anyone who has seen the wargaming annexe and the solidity of the table in it will be as baffled as I am as to how I managed it; my first thought was to be thankful that I did it at my house rather than someone else's. Anyway, no permanent harm was done, except that when I had picked it all up one of the cards was missing. Again, especially given the size of the room, it's a mystery as to where it might have gone. Still it will turn up, and the pack came complete with blank cards; presumably to allow for clumsy players.

After that, things proceeded smoothly, although not in the way that I expected. Instead of the besiegers moving up their siege guns and battering down the wall, it was the fortress guns which forced the retreat of both artillery and infantry from the third parallel. I'm not going to go through things in detail, but I will repeat my previous caveats: it's certainly not a good game to play solo, and it's at least possible that I'm not doing it right anyway. 


The turn ended abruptly when it started to rain very heavily; so heavily in fact that some of the siege works have flooded. Now, the players get some choice as to where the flooding occurs, but my decisions were done in the context that I hadn't (still haven't actually) read the rules for repairing them.


So what I've tried to do is to isolate the gun emplacements so as to further delay the commencement of the bombardment of the walls. 



No comments:

Post a Comment