Thursday 26 September 2024

Silk

 “Well, God give them wisdom that have it; and those that are fools, let them use their talents.” -  Shakespeare


Jonathan over at Palouse Wargaming Journal has been celebrating twelve years of blogging, which made me realise that I had also recently passed that mark. As opposed to that blog, which has gone from strength to strength and features more game reports than any other blog on my reading list, this blog has dwindled and diminished over time, both in quantity and quality. The only positive is that it still costs the same to produce, i.e. nothing. 




Evidence of all this is that I do have a couple of games to report on and can think of nothing more to say than that I enjoyed them both. First up was the Combat at Reichenberg, and the photos on James's blog if you follow that link are much better than the one above. As I say it was a fun way to spend a couple of evenings and resulted in a marginal victory for the Prussians. For those who like to keep track of our rule changes, we started playing Field of Battle 2 - sort of - and ended playing Field of Battle 3 -sort of - with our morale rules not having much to do with either. I know our approach bemuses people, but it is in part because James's table is so much bigger than that assumed in most rules; if we didn't change things up then games would last for months rather than weeks.



One set of rules which I never tinker with is Command & Colours. The above are the starting positions for Dennewitz, which I played recently with Chris, my plumber. It's such a good system for newcomers to pick up, and yet has plenty of decision points to keep more seasoned gamers interested, plus it doesn't last too long. It's not a simulation, but it is fun. To slightly misquote the designer of a different game (and one which I hope to report back on in my next post): "Throughout development, historical accuracy has been just one value among several". A fine approach.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on 12 years of blogging and the shout-out to my blog. I agree with your assessment of Commands & Colors. A great game that I can convince even non-wargamers to give a try. Played with figures, it is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have played CnC with figures quite a few times and mostly enjoyed the games; it has down sides in terms of ability to plan with any certainty, but as my tactical abilities may be a bit suspect, that's probably to my advantage against more canny thinkers!

    ReplyDelete