Tuesday 26 February 2013

Whaam!

Is Epictetus the Andrew Ridgley of wargaming? Discuss.

Alternatively read his review of the Roy Lichtenstein exhibition at the Tate Modern.


It looks just as good when viewed sober

I have always liked Lichtenstein's work - possibly influenced by the fact that one of his most famous works (above) was reproduced on the wall of the students union bar at the University of Bradford in the mid seventies. The exhibition itself is very good and covers a wide range of styles as well as the classic comic influenced pop art. He was less successful (in my completely amateur opinion) is his more abstract works, although his version of Mondrian is substantially better than the original, which hangs elsewhere in Tate Modern. His take on cubism is also rather good, but in this case serves mainly to highlight the genius of Braque and Picasso. Anyway, I highly recommend the show.

'The ring always believes the finger lives for it' - Malcom de Chazal

The rest of Tate Modern (apart from the building, which is magnificent) merely reinforced my prejudice against most modern art. The rather small cubist section was good and I found myself unexpectedly rather attracted to a couple of the abstract expressionist paintings; although not, I hasten to add, to the Jackson Pollocks - which are basically a load of Jackson Pollocks.

Actually I quite like Wham! as well as Whaam! (Waake Me Up Before You Go Go, Laast Christmas, Caareless Whisper etc). I grew up near where they did and whilst some unkind souls have compared me to the less talented of the two (the Rhetorical Pedant here points out "It was you, it was you.") my more famous namesake has more in common with George being, er, bearded and Greek. If he was alive today I have no doubt that he would be preparing pithy epigrams on his right to park where he wanted, when he wanted, having smoked whatever seemed a good idea at the time.


As a sop to wargamers (although even the most hard line must accept some relevance in this post) I will finish on a picture of two typical wargamers on their way to a show.

No comments:

Post a Comment