Friday 22 November 2013

But I just looked around and he was gone

To a seven year old boy there was no doubt as to which of the two events that weekend was the more important. Dr Who quickly became an obsession with me and remained so for many years. We're all supposed to have 'our' doctor and mine is and always has been William Hartnell.


However, in all the commemorations in the media it is to the assassination of JFK that I have been drawn. Not that I have a terribly high regard for the man. As, ironically enough, he himself said  "The great enemy of truth is very often not the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - but the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.". But I do recall well the events of that night. It's not my earliest memory. I can remember the Cuban missile crisis; now that was scary. Rather I can recall my father - a man with no interest in politics or current affairs - being genuinely moved as he tried to explain to my sister and I what had happened.


And it is for that, for the memory of my long dead father that it brings to mind, that I have been an attentive audience for the anniversary programmes. Unlike Kennedy he has left no permanent mark on the public record and after my sister and I are dead he will be forgotten. Brief and ephemeral as they may be these moments when I can see him again, even if it is only in my mind, are precious to me.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly where I was when I heard the JFK news (so it wasn't me, right?). I was setting up for a youth club dance in the church hall in Elm Hall Drive, Liverpool (just around the corner from the rather more famous Penny Lane). My girl friend burst into tears, though she wasn't quite sure why - I was not especially sad about JFK being killed, but was shaken, since this was not the sort of thing that was supposed to happen.

    ReplyDelete