Tuesday 30 September 2014

Meaty, Beaty

And so to the theatre. I have been to see Bouncers, the John Godber play that is revived so often that I am at a loss to explain why I had never seen it before.

“We four will try to illustrate
the sort of things that happen late
at night in every town
when the pubs are shut
and the beer’s been downed”

  
In fact, at least according to the publicity blurb for the Reform Theatre production now on tour, and which I caught at Harrogate, it's one of the most performed plays of all time. However, be that as it may, I found it bawdy, sometimes poignant and very funny. Let's face it, none of us has ever really outgrown a good fart joke.




The setting - discos of the 1980s - is actually after my time, although as Godber is an exact contemporary of mine perhaps it wasn't surprising that there were many elements that I recognised. The creepy disk jockey is of course both reminiscent of the sixties/seventies/eighties and spookily current. Anyway, highly recommended.


Not highly recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment