Saturday 16 April 2016

Suddenly, as rare things will, it vanished

 "Vanity is the healthiest thing in life." - Karl Lagerfeld

It has become apparent that one of my readers scans the blog for mentions of herself and if she doesn't find any she seeks revenge by hunting down spelling mistakes. Well she may have found another error, but my own revenge will be to never mention her ever again; possibly.

Today's topic is actually some photographs that I was happily taking earlier before the battery in my new camera suddenly ran out at an inauspicious moment. I'm a bit concerned that my attempt to save money by buying a second hand camera may have proved a mistake; who'd have thought it? Anyway, one photo survives and, although it doesn't show everything I was hoping for, it's still well worth looking at.


I have been basing up a couple of the Early War Miniatures thermoformed shell holes and strongpoints and the picture shows three of them in various stages of production. My use of the coping saw proved to be surprisingly adept, but there was still a problem. It works fine for cutting out single hexes, but doesn't function at all for multi-hex groups, because the depth of the saw frame isn't sufficient; an entirely predictable difficulty. I have resorted to a Stanley knife, which works well and, let's be honest, is what James recommended in the first place. I have also used my hot glue gun to fix plastic to hardboard; this the first time it's seen any action despite having owned it for years. I can report that it works a treat and I have absolutely no idea why I've never tried it before.


2 comments:

  1. Nice looking hexes, even more impressive cut with a coping saw which isn't great on straight lines.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The coping saw has turned out to be of limited use. Indeed I'm thinking of cutting some irregular shapes just to get my money's worth. I am rather pleased with the way these have turned out and hope to put up some photos of the finished articles soon.

      Delete