Friday 26 May 2017

Moscophoros

Unusually for me, I rather like the latest show at the Henry Moore Institute: Votives by Aleksandra Domanović.


The sculptures, made in the tradition of Greek korai, are intended to 'fold the aesthetic of classical sculpture into her investigation into how developing technology relates to the societies that create it'. I'm not entirely sure what that means, but nevertheless I'm going to say that she has achieved it. The pieces manage to be both recognisable in form to those who have visited ancient sites or museum galleries and yet are distinctly of the present day. I must be going soft.


The artist claims that all technology is gendered, but doesn't elaborate. Of the two technologies that she uses I'm going to guess that she thinks 3D printing is female (creating something from nothing) and inkjet printing is male (creating by emission on to a blank canvas), but that might prove nothing more than that I'm both a pseud and a good example of Freud's psychosexual theory of personality; neither of which will come as a surprise to readers of the blog. Still, a modern art exhibition that makes one think something other than "this is a bag of shit" is an event to be cherished.

No comments:

Post a Comment