Saturday 6 May 2017

Whenever You Need Me

I haven't written much about music recently, although I have continued to go to gigs; indeed I have just been to see the Devon Allman Band. Allman is the son of Gregg and nephew of Duane so I was hoping for some soul and blues influenced southern rock to take me back to my youth and distract me from... well distract me. I am pleased to say that's exactly what I got.



It was all good stuff, from his own material to covers of the Clapton song above (I know Clapton didn't write it), Tom Petty's "Mary Jane's Last Dance", the Detroit Spinners' "I'll Be Around" (they didn't write that either), and "No Woman, No Cry"; the last two quite definitely successful in temporarily returning me to the 1970s.



When they came back for the encore he caused confusion by promising two and a half songs. The extra bit turned out to be teasing, stop start intros to, among others, "Sweet Home Alabama", "Whole Lotta Love" and, perhaps inevitably "Jessica". I'm going to go with "Whipping Post" instead:


No comments:

Post a Comment