Saturday 22 July 2017

Just like that


It occurred to me some time ago that the secret of blogging is to never mind the quality, but to feel the width. In other words to stretch out one's material, however weak, across a number of posts. For example, that is why you have not yet had the full details of the incident involving me, the Rev. Ian Paisley and the giraffe, nor indeed the camels and the missile test in the desert. ["It is strange," says the Rhetorical Pedant, arriving from nowhere after a prolonged absence "how many of these supposedly entertaining stories of yours involve even-toed ungulates.". To which my reply must be that the universe is full of odd coincidences, at which we can only stare in wonder.]


"No surrender!"

In the spirit of the above paragraph I am therefore going to return to the clear the village scenario for Through the Mud and the Blood. Peter has drawn my attention to the fact that the rules for Scouts, such as they are, would be of great use in a situation where an attacker not on blinds approaches a defender who wishes to remain on blinds, whereas all our games so far have been the other way round. This is a fair point, and leads to the obvious ambition to see if I can incorporate that situation in the scenario. In the style of most wargames bloggers I shall simply say that I have some ideas and shall have to ponder it further.

"Don't play the rules, play the period. Aha ha ha!"

It doesn't however change my opinion that the core rules are overly vague on this issue as on others. As an illustration of exactly what I mean, here's a joke from Tommy Cooper:

"A blind bloke walks into a shop with a guide dog. He picks the dog up and starts swinging it around his head. Alarmed, a shop assistant calls out 'Can I help sir?'. 'No thanks,' says the blind bloke 'just looking.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment