Monday 3 July 2023

It was out

                    "For the field is full of shades as I near the shadowy coast,
                     And a ghostly batsman plays to the bowling of a ghost,
                     And I look through my tears on a soundless-clapping host
                     As the run-stealers flicker to and fro,
                     To and fro" - Francis Thompson


I have come to realise that my readers prefer not to have to wait too long for my guidance on the burning issues of the day. Well I hear you people, I hear you. It was out. And the moral? If you don't want to be stumped then don't go walkabout. The other one wasn't out; one doesn't have to know very much about cricket to understand that the crucial feature of a catch is that the ball doesn't touch the ground. The ball touched the ground, ergo it wasn't a catch. 

Here are The Duckworth Lewis Method and 'The End of the Over':





3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the insight.....I have not really followed it, being a Scot resident in New Zealand, English and Aussie kerfufles over cricket really don't interest me overly!
    The main story I heard on a breakfast radio report this morning concerned the names of the three MCC members who got into verbal tussle with the visitors in The Long Room....one was a genuine Lord and the other two had, to Antipodean ears, quintessentially upper class Pommie names .....I believe one chap may have been Quinton....and there as a hyphenated "Smythe" in one of the surnames, I believe ....... much to everyone downunders amusement😎😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scorecard certainly has it as out. I was hoping England would win the second test, but even after losing Lyon Australia were too good. Doesn't look flash for the rest of the series. England haven't been thinking as clearly as previously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breaking News......I hear today footage has emerged of the self same English cricketer doing exactly the same dodgy trick to an opponent in a county game a year or two back......so.....no more whinging Poms please!

    ReplyDelete