Monday 2 September 2013

Pot11pouri

  • Only a few days ago I arbitrarily used as a title for a blog posting "Hello, good evening and welcome", the catch phrase of Sir David Frost. And then yesterday he suddenly had a heart attack and died. Spooky. Using a wargames blog to foretell, or maybe even cause, someone's death; that's just wrong. And it's certainly a power that should never be abused.
  • It's Seamus Heaney's funeral today in Dublin. As he himself wrote in 'The Harvest Bow', 
"The end of art is peace."
  • This is in danger of becoming a bit morbid. I am going to a funeral myself on Friday - an aunt - and perhaps that has made me slightly more reflective than usual. But of course, the dogs will bark and the caravan will move on. As Heaney's fellow Irish poet W.B.Yeats put it
 "O mind your feet, O mind your feet,
Keep dancing like a wave,
And under every dancer
A dead man in his grave."
  • And just a heads up that the title of tomorrow's blog posting will be 'Vote Conservative'

1 comment:

  1. I was strangely affected by the passing of Seamus Heaney. I barely even knew his poetry, but on some level his carrying on that tradition of poet as public man must have been more reassuring than I realised. I will now start reading it, of course...

    ReplyDelete