Sunday 15 September 2013

Pot12pouri

Yesterday's posting's reference to Benjamin Britten led to a conversation with someone who said they had just returned from Aldeburgh. When asked what it was like, she replied that it was OK unless one was a vegetarian. This, of course, tells us nothing about Britten, music or East Anglia, but will provide some comfort to anyone having doubts about Abraham Maslow's famous theory.

If you were self-actualised you'd laugh too

The blog has acquired yet another follower, and this time without having insulted the religious sensibilities of any previous follower; welcome John Preece. As a Malburian gamer you sit right in the area of my main project. Obviously I have made no progress on that project (which in any case I only took up after being stitched up by Mark Dudley) for a yonk, and far from having somewhere to carry it out I am actually moving to a smaller flat shortly. However, these issues are a mere bagatelle, the War of the Spanish Succession has called out to you, and you have answered.

The WSS beckons seductively

To the Leeds Meeples for some boardgame action. We started with Apples to Apples and I followed up with 7 Wonders (with both expansions) and Small World. The latter two met my current, though loose, criterion of being games that I'd never played before and I think that both would be worth playing again. As will all first plays I had no idea what was happening, chose a strategy blindly and came last.

A wonder, albeit not one of the original seven

Here's a t-shirt (or possibly a tank top; not my area of expertise) that seems to have been designed with wargamers in mind; except possibly for the cut. Hopefully they do XXXXL versions as well.






3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your kind welcome, naturally as a WSS wargamer I am currently painting Franco Prussian war figures.

    I spent a pleasant hour this morning drinking coffee listening to Bach and reading your blog.

    As one of the dullest of Henry's band of dullards and a high church Anglican I found plenty to cause me to splutter. Which can only be a good thing for an old fart such as myself.

    I lived in Huddersfield in 1976 ish and remember that as a golden age of wargaming in West Yorkshire, with the Bradford model shop probably the best ever.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to John from me too, though I am a little disquieted that you have another follower. This is not what we were led to believe. John may well improve the average level of cultural savvy among your regular readership. Let's hope so.

    As an illustration, I confess (in an appropriate state of shame) that I did think briefly about the fact that Britten must have been born in the same year as Shankly. I also confess that the one thing I know about vegetarians is that Maslow's theories do not apply. I once spent a flight to Brussels sitting next to a Vegan lady who felt obliged to tell everyone aboard throughout the journey about her dietary preferences and how badly she had been catered for by the airline. I doubt if a decent sized crash would have discouraged her. Monstrous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A thought of no usefulness,

    Vegetarians claim to be concerned with the highest point of self actualisation yet express this through demands and complaints on the most basic physical level. Wargamers however will neglect all physical comfort and gather in squalor in order to realize the pinnacle of the triangle.

    Thank you for your welcome Mr Foy, I am sorry to dash your hopes of cultural savvy so quickly.

    John

    ReplyDelete