Thursday 12 September 2013

Proverbs - Chapter 28: Verse 13

 Another wargaming blog, which I decline to identify, has been having a competition to choose a name for the author's newly acquired English Civil War siege mortar. For some unaccountable reason my own rather fine entry - 'The Mighty Phallus of Puritanism' - did not win. Now for most people this rebuff would be enough to put them off blog based competitions for life. But I am made of sterner stuff and have decided to arrange my very own competition.
 
MS Foy's ECW Siege Gun

Yesterday Google nearly broke under the strain as pretty much the entire blogosphere searched for a particular Biblical reference and were rewarded with the following: 'Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.'
 
Does anyone know why he isn't wearing a Codpiece of the Peace of God?


The competition question is: 'What did Epictetus mean to tell us by obliquely using those words as the title to a blog posting?'

Possible answers are:

a) He has accepted Jesus Christ as his personal saviour
b) He is sending a coded message that Lee Harvey Oswald was, in fact, the last of the Merovingian kings of France.
c) He is pseud and a charlatan who was bound to drop a humiliating bollock at some point and this is it.
d) He typed 'Proverbs' when he meant to type 'Psalms'

Competition Rules
 1) Anyone responding c) may well be right, but they're deluding themselves if they think they are going to get a prize from me
2) There are no prizes

3 comments:

  1. Biblical references are always a mystery to me anyway. If I do look them up, I am frequently none the wiser. They usually say "Doing bad things is in itself a bad thing" in some form or other, which is neither enriching nor particularly helpful. However, this is entirely my problem - 20 billion flies cannot all be wrong, after all.

    I am left with some doubt as to whether your fine competition refers to the reference in the current post or the previous one, but after a little furtive research I decided it doesn't make much difference. To spin out the excitement, as they do on TV shows (they tell me), I shall consider the possible answers you offer:

    (a) No opinion
    (b) Unlikely
    (c) No opinion
    (d) Neither appears particularly relevant - whatever, it certainly wouldn't have been Ecclesiastes 10:2

    So this entry probably counts as a spoiled paper. There may be a clue in the rules, come to think of it, but my attention span has been exceeded.

    Your own fine entry to the ECW Mortar competition was interesting, but it failed the drug test. Thank you for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To those who don't look up Bible references there is only one possible riposte: 2 Timothy 3:16

    And as for the 20 billion flies, to them I say Ecclesiastes 10:1

    Actually now I look more closely at chapter ten of the book of Ecclesiastes it does make me wonder why on earth Solomon has such a reputation for wisdom; except of course for verse 19. I'm with him on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 Timothy 3:16 is a case in point. There is a kind of begged question in there - the phrase "God-breathed" lacks weight to the unconvinced. Mind you, those of us who wish to hedge our bets will nod in agreement and shuffle on up the queue.

    Thank you, sir.

    ReplyDelete