Wednesday 25 December 2013

Love After Love



The time will come
when, with elation
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror
and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes,
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life. 

            - Derek Walcott

2 comments:

  1. That's good, and Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Epictetus,
    Since you have gladly stepped into Msr.'s bucket by bitch-slapping my avatar; i.e Gummy, I thought I would return the favor. So, in my best Richard Harris imitation, I crown thee "EPICTESTES". That will most certainly be the dog's bollocks!

    While you most eagerly jumped onto the political jugular in regards to my name, I assure you that Grenada is not the focus of Gunny Highway. If you had seen the movie, while not the best, does represent what all good, or if you wish, great armies posess. The quality of the NCO or for those with Philisophical Doctorates, the Non Commissioned Officer. Whether it's the centurion in the Roman Army, the color sergeant in your own imperial romps, or the gunnery sergeant in a artillery battery, the NCO is the backbone of any well led formation.
    When asked by his Lt. what military school he attended, Gunny Highway answered "Heart Break Ridge". Lt. Green said "I haven't heard of that school".
    So, to frame all this electonic scat into a overall statement, I would hope that either specifically, abstracly or anywhere in between , a ruleset should take this into consideration. One of my first games that did bring this to a important spotlight was Squad Leader by Avalon Hill. I was quite impressed by a German NCO embedded with a MG34 on a tripod and how devistating the results were. Especially for the Russians....
    Ta Ta for now this is Gummy signing off....
    Respectfully,
    Gunny

    ReplyDelete