Thursday 12 December 2013

Quintilian may have had a point

"When we cannot hope to win, it is an advantage to yield" - Quintilian

A chap with a beard

The last run through of the Reserve Demolition scenario reached its inevitable conclusion this week. I mentioned in my report on the first session that I had drawn the double blank three times. On this occasion the tone was set when it was the very first domino drawn for the Prussians. The fact that the Russians only drew the one-blank domino was less of a consolation and more a sort of taunting mockery.


The dominoes speak


Mind you I ended in a triumph of a sort, having lost basically every single unit except the sappers who were still there despite having not set the charge nor indeed having received any orders to blow it. Other than that - and a single stand of dragoons who had routed over the bridge at an early stage - they were all dead. Impressive, but pointless.


Good for morale

There was much discussion afterwards about morale chips and that seems to be the area in which the rules will change next time. However, to me the most important issue was my poor commander. The Command Indecision card cost me easily a whole turn through the cards over the two evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment