Thursday 29 June 2017

May/June Boardgames

It's been another distinctly non-vintage couple of months for boardgaming, although I still managed to play twenty games:

6 nimmt!: A bit random maybe, but a perfectly fine short card game which I prefer to X nimmt!.

Abluxxen: Another fine short card game.

Arctic Scavengers: The role of theme in boardgames isn't always that important; however I would suggest that while it can't make good games better it can make bad games worse. I have a distaste for the post apocalyptic almost as great as that I have for fantasy and magic. This gets a big thumbs down from me.

Avenue: This is a quick and interesting enough game that handles a lot of players without taking any longer.

The Climbers: I do like a 3D game and I especially like this. I suspect that my unexpected victory a couple of months ago will never be repeated, but I'm always happy to play.




Codenames: Reliable filler.

Elysium: I was pleased to play this again. It has an interesting auction mechanism and is one of the few engine building games that I don't mind. The scoring is also exactly like Rummy, thereby proving that there is nothing new under the sun.

First Class: From the designer of Russian Railroads, this is a bit like Russian Railroads. My advice would be to play Russian Railroads.

Five Tribes: I like this; recommended. The number of tribes involved is probably one, possibly zero, but certainly not five.

Ice Flow: Another favourite of mine, with a very different mechanism to most games.

Istanbul: An enjoyable game, which is rather looked down on by the hard core gaming fraternity; their loss.

Lords of Waterdeep: Speaking of theme, this one's is notoriously wafer thin. Treat it as an abstract worker placement game and it's good.

Package?!: A filler which, as they often do, took longer to explain than to play. Nominally about delivering parcels, it has a mechanism for doing down other players which rebounds if you're not careful. Enjoyable.

Port Royal: Yet another nice little card game. I'm not sure I entirely grasped the best tactics; maybe next time.

Power Grid: China/Korea: We played the Korea board, which had an interesting - though possibly irrelevant in our game - split in the resource market between North and South. You'll be pleased to know that the North doesn't seem to have any uranium.

Quantum: Another old favourite unplayed for a couple of years. I think the dice as spaceships mechanism is very clever. For added interest to wargamers, there is the opportunity - necessity even - to attack everyone else's ships, which is achieved by rolling dice adjusting for various factors and comparing the results.

Sail to India: There's a lot of game in a small box here.

Skull: I thought that this had suffered from overexposure and was unlikely to appear for quite a while. I was wrong.

This War of Mine:  More post apocalyptic drivel, this time it's a co-operative just to rub salt in the wounds. Apparently it's based on a video game; I trust that the original is better than this over complicated farrago.

The Voyages of Marco Polo: This is an OK worker placement game with a map. My tip is to buy as many camels as you can, as early as you can and as often as you can.






2 comments:

  1. Always interested in seeing your boardgame review post. After your recommendation some time ago for Condottiere, we finally got it out for a few playings. The guys liked it a lot! I see it in a regular rotation as a filler to end a gaming wargaming session. With four players, the strategy and card play become quite interesting. Poker with less stress and more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad that you all liked it. I think that four is perhaps the optimum number. With five there can be quite a bit of downtime when you opt out of battles.

      Delete