Friday 9 July 2021

Pueblo Aserradero

The lack of regular posting here has been due to lack of external stimulus to provide the inspiration. Ironically my original blogging niche was as a wargamer who didn't wargame, but that space seems to have become very crowded of late. I assumed that the restarting of gaming would in itself be sufficient to rectify things, but sod's law meant that, after waiting fifteen months, I missed the second evening. It seems that I lost in absentia, which was not surprising and was at least an efficient way to do it. However, I did turn up for week three and the start of a new game, details of the set up of which can be found here. It had been very pleasant to find that all was reassuringly familiar after the long gap - except for James' moustache obviously - and that situation carried on. In fact there was an unexpected return to something which had first been the subject of heated debate at least eight years ago: the rotation of the earth on its axis, the orbiting of the earth around the sun, and their combined effect on the length of the day at different longitudes and in different seasons. Thankfully, where once there had been discord, there is now harmony. The solar system, being unaware of, and uninterested in, the debate seems to have carried on regardless in the meantime. La causerie scientifique then moved on to quantum mechanics and once again there was unanimity; we all agreed that it was very, very complicated (*) and also that gluon was an amusing name for a particle. 



But, what of the game I hear you ask. Well, I'm the British, I got all the initiative, I currently have possession of the target village, and the Connaught Rangers were an Irish regiment. I am sure that James will fill in the gaps in that summary on his blog in due course.


* As an illustration of this, last week's New Scientist says that we now know that at high enough energy levels a Higgs boson decays into itself. Come again?

1 comment:

  1. "Ironically my original blogging niche was as a wargamer who didn't wargame, but that space seems to have become very crowded of late."

    Ha, you're not wrong there!

    ReplyDelete