Monday 5 January 2015

Merle!

I haven't been asked by anyone why I haven't chosen a book of the year for last year, but it would have been a good point if they had. I am going to choose 'The Brethren' by Robert Merle (the first book in a saga about French history translated from that language), with a special mention to 'The Iron King' by Maurice Druon (the first book in a saga about French history translated from that language).

Your bloggist ponders French literature
The first of these books is reminiscent of 'The Three Musketeers' and I look forward to the rest of the series being like the subsequent million and a half words leading right through to 'The Man in the Iron Mask'. In any event both are highly recommended. I see that the BBC version of the Musketeers has started again and must catch up with it. I know it bears minimal relation to the books, but I found the first season entertaining enough.

Your bloggist has pondered enough

And sadly the new year brings no relief from the obituary column. We must once again say goodbye to an icon of my youth.

"Well, come on baby....let's wrestle."




No comments:

Post a Comment