Friday 23 January 2015

Bad Boy Modernist

I have been to another remarkably well attended lecture, this time at Leeds Art Gallery, where Sue Malvern spoke about C.R.W. Nevinson.


I have written here before about my admiration for Nevinson's futurist work prior to and in the early part of the First World War. I have also mentioned his switch to a more realistic stance when he became an official war artist and his rather bold decision to display 'Paths of Glory' with a paper sticker bearing the word 'Censored' across the two dead bodies when these were deemed inappropriate by the authorities. However I wasn't at all aware of his later work and so was pleased that this was a focus of Dr Malvern's talk. I was somewhat disappointed however to learn that there was a good reason for my lack of knowledge; namely that his later work wasn't actually very good. The speaker was dismissive of its artistic value and I didn't need her to tell me that what she illustrated with slides was aesthetically unpleasing; much of it hasn't survived, possibly indicating that it didn't sell.


She stressed that at the time Nevinson would have been considered the leading British war artist; as opposed to, say, Nash who might be so considered in retrospect. What then seems to have happened is that he maintained a high public profile - often appearing in the newspapers and socially very active - at the expense of any artistic development. I came away thinking that his ambivalent attitude to the growth of fascism in the 1930s was simply because he couldn't work out which side provided the best opportunity for advancement. Unlike most other first war artists he wasn't remobilised for the second, although he suffered a stroke in 1942 in any event.


So, there you have it, stick to the early stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment