Friday 8 February 2013

Richard III


So, how come I haven't written anything about Richard III yet? I have been a member of the Richard III Society since 1985 although as inactive as one could possibly be. I did once get a letter published in the Ricardian Bulletin on the vital subject of whose side the Calais Garrison were on during the bombardment of London by the Bastard of Fauconberg in 1471 (no, really!), but that's about it. However, even I have been stirred from my torpor by the great man's sudden reappearance. Absolutely fascinating for the sheer improbability of it all as much as anything else. And it does make one question historical analysis in general. Pretty much every book I've ever read says that there was no evidence that he had a crooked back and that it was an invention of Tudor propaganda. Well, now there is and oh no it wasn't. 




To be honest it just makes his achievements more impressive; at least those up until the Battle of Bosworth. I have refought Bosworth a few times, but it hinges too heavily on whatever one decides about the Stanleys and about the Duke of Northumberland. In fact the only Wars of the Roses battle that ever plays out satisfactorily on the table top is Tewkesbury. And, in my experience, Richard of Gloucester always dies even when his brother wins. Strange but trueish.



No comments:

Post a Comment