Wednesday 18 September 2013

Mexican Independence Day

A pedant has not written to point out that I wrote a blog posting about Mexico on September 16th without drawing your attention to the fact that it was Mexican Independence Day. For once I have an answer - I didn't know. But now not only I do, but you do as well. You're welcome.




A wargamer also didn't write to ask the inevitable question that arises at times like this - are you going to start a new period? For once I have an answer - yes and no. Yes, because it is definitely my intention to game the Mexican Revolution at some point. No because it always has been my intention to do so and, in fact, I already have some, er, stuff. This, in my usual 20mm scale, basically consists of plastic WWI US infantry plus Ravensthorpe, Irregular and, I think, Jacklex metal regulars and irregulars plus a shed load of cacti from Pegasus and Irregular. Not much is painted except the cacti,which is odd because I cannot possibly use them in any other period that I game (a).




Anyway, I'm not happy with the metal figures (very, shudder, old school) and in the absence of Imex's Villistas and Pershing expeditionary forces being released (they have been in the upcoming section of the catalogue for about ten years now) I'm not sure 20mm is the way to go. There are however a fair number of 28mm options and so, possibly, I may break the habit of a lifetime and go large. After all, the cacti will still work.




Whilst Zapata is clearly the figure that one can most identify with politically (in fact he is probably the only person out of the whole ten years that one could have any regard for of any sort) the theatre to game has to be the North, including the US involvement. Apart from anything else John Reed's 'Insurgent Mexico', the only eyewitness account in English that I am aware of, was based on his experiences embedded with the División del Norte.

(a) it must of course be understood that the last game I laid on was some years ago now (the siege of Blude Nora featuring Hussite warwagons and - a little anachronism that nonetheless went down well - a crow) and seeing as I don't have anywhere terribly permanent to live let alone a wargames room this isn't going to change soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment