Friday 9 October 2015

You brought me misery

"Make no small plans for they have no power to stir the soul" - Nicolo Machiavelli

This week's wargaming objective is sorting out my Warbases playing card tokens. When did my dreams become so insignificant? 

Not only are my ambitions pitiful, but I also making rather heavy weather of it. I have four sets of tokens and they need splitting between two bags - exciting update, the bags, plus an extra one to put some dominoes in, are already on order  - but, planning ahead, I also want to be able to use the sets separately if required. ["So," the Rhetorical Pedant asks "did you buy four bags?". "Curses," I reply " I can't even get that right."] In any event I determined to paint the back of each set a different colour. The best way to do it would have been to spray them, but I don't have any spray paint. I painted the first set green but the came a bit of a varnishing disaster. The backs are now so lumpy that I think one could learn to read them braille-like. The painting of the next set, in red, seemed to go alright and then I foolishly decided to do the third in white. Ten or so coats later they are getting close to being ready for varnishing. The fourth set will now remain au naturale. 

And so to the fronts. I have had trouble distinguishing the numbers on the tokens across the table and so decided to colour in the suits using permanent marker. The six and nine of diamonds are also difficult to tell apart and therefore they need some extra marking. A trip to the shop during a thunderstorm meant that I was soaked through, but now in possession of two permanent markers. The red one works fine, but the black doesn't seem to have any ink in it.So there we are: aim low, shoot lower.

But all that talk of diamond playing cards can mean only one thing:


No comments:

Post a Comment