Tuesday 25 April 2023

Großbeerencore

 It's election time, and campaigning seems to be taking up somewhat more of my time than I expected or signed up for. However, I did manage to squeeze in one quick game. I was playing a boardgame with someone who admitted to dabbling in Napoleonic wargaming, so I invited him round to the annexe for an introductory game of Command & Colors, which of course is a boardgame that I happen to play with figures. For reasons I can no longer remember I always use the Großbeeren scenario in these circumstances, and so that's what we played.


I can report that he enjoyed it, as people always appear to, in his case not least because it would seem to have been substantially quicker to play to a conclusion than the home-brew rules he is more familiar with. He won as the French, and a victory always eases one's path into a new game. He went for a very ambitious attacking strategy, pushing units forward piecemeal and absolutely refusing to go into square when threatened by the Prussian cavalry. He might have suffered for all that, but I consistently drew only left sector cards and, especially given that the objective villages are in the middle, I was therefore rather handicapped. Anyway, a good time was had by all.

The Prussians have hardly moved in the centre or on the right

I'm now going back to explaining to voters what they will miss if, or let's not delude ourselves when, they don't vote for me, but there is the rumour of some ACW action shortly. It must be decades since I have gamed that period.

3 comments:

  1. I have played a few games of CnC (with figures) and usually enjoyed them - once my mate and I played one of the Peninsula games twice in one evening because I trounced him so quickly in the first game - funny how you always remember those occasions, isn't it! The one major drawback with it as a game is the whole reliance on getting the right cards to be able to do anything. I think it's a great leveler - you can be a tactical genius but if you don't get the right cards, you cant really put your brilliant plan into action! I am assuming that is what happened to you, Alan! Good luck with the election, unless you are on the wrong side, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually quite like C&C Napoleonics played with Figures too. I couldn’t get into the other periods -WW2 is ok but ancients and AWI didn’t work for me.

    ACW I loved with Fire and Fury but haven’t played that for years and the figures sit unloved in a filing cabinet! Maybe I should show them some love.

    Don

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never warmed to Memoir '44, and I agree with you you about Ancients. Another boardgaming acquaintance of mine owns C&C Ancients and, having heard about what I had done with the Napoleonics version, asked me for advice about getting some Punic Wars figures to do the same sort of thing. My advice was to play To the Strongest! instead as it's a much better game.

      Delete