Sunday 23 June 2013

A few fillers

It was the Leeds Meeples today and I played a few games, pretty much all of which I would class as fillers. First up, after the warm up Apples to Apples, which I won, was a game of GUBS, which I also won. It was the first time through for everyone, but - for once - I think we got the rules right straight from the beginning. I won because basically I had drew the best cards, but I always think that the trick with card games is to recognise when that has happened and to capitalise on it.

Then came a game of Quoridor, which I also won; don't worry as that was the end of my success. I thought that was a neat little abstract game and may buy a copy if I see it. This was followed by Tsouro which I always enjoy and would have done so a bit more had I been able to last more than about five minutes.

I haven't played many co-operative games and following a run through Forbidden Island I'm not that bothered about playing too many more. It's hard to see how the players could realistically lose unless one started woth the water already at level 5 or something.

The rest were variations on well known card games. Panic Lab is a sort of Snap, but with the objective being to find a card that matches the roll of four dice, with the complication that the card may not actually be the one that the dice indicate. It was good fun, albeit just as complicated as the description that I just gave. We had a couple of games of this and one rule that I would suggest - if it's not already in the rule book - is that one can only point to one card and not move one's choice. This was followed by Munchkin Cthulhu. This was my second game of Munchkin and benefited from the rules being played more or less correctly from the start. In this case the shuffling hadn't been that efficiently done and a surfiet of really strong monsters at the front rather skewed the game. In any event I'm afraid that Munchkin isn't really doing it for me. The last game up was Ligretto, which is a sort of simultaneous multi-player solitaire and rather good fun.

So, another very pleasant afternoon out. Next time I would like to play a longer, heavier game though.

No comments:

Post a Comment