Tuesday 4 June 2013

Extra Ludi in Veritas

There was a Leeds Meeples meet in Veritas last night so I had a second successive night of boardgaming. There's another one at the Travelling Man tonight, but I don't think even I'm keen enough for three nights in a row; especially as I'm due to finish the crusades game on Wednesday night.

Is there an 'o' or a 'u' in 'bollocks'?

Games last night were Citadels, Dominion Intrigue with the Seaside expansion (twice) and Love Letter. I didn't win any, thereby proving what I've always said: boardgames are just luck. Actually, these were all cardgames as were the the ones played the night before (Condottiere has a board, but the action lies in the cards); note to self - play a bloody boardgame next time.

I have played a few deck-building games recently and there is something about the mechanic that I like. The problem is that I find it impossible to judge during a game how everyone might or might not be doing. The only sensible approach therefore is to choose a strategy and stick to it. In the second game of Dominion last night I went for a Barons and Gold strategy. Everyone playing - including me - assumed that I was winning, but I, er, didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment