Tuesday 28 February 2017

hotvlee-hv'see

Not that many boardgames were played in February, partly because of food poisoning and partly because whenever I did get a chance I seemed to end up playing a game that went on for ever. There was, as previously reported, one excellent experience.

6 Nimmt!: The gamer's choice if one has to play a mainly random game.

Airlines Europe: A sort of precursor to Ticket to Ride which I would suggest needs a couple of house rules to reduce the length somewhat. Thematically it's all over the place - the only time you ever get a dividend on your shares is when you declare that you own them and the most valuable airline for victory point purposes has neither aeroplanes nor routes - but it's not a bad game.

Battlestar Galactica: Not really my sort of game, I've never seen the show on which it's based and it went on way too long, but reasonably enjoyable despite all that.

Codenames: Does 'photosynthesis' suggest 'bark'? Indeed not.

Fabled Fruit: Pretty average set collection card game. Apparently the gimmick is that the game changes each time you play it in some sort of narrative style - I have no idea how - but I can't imagine anyone bothering to play it again.

Flamme Rouge: I got both my racers over the finish line; I'm going to count that as a moral victory.

Herbaceous: Another set collection card game game, this time about planting herbs, that worked really well, proving that theme doesn't really matter. It also proves that dressing up Rummy with proprietary cards is a good way to make money.



Quartermaster General 1914: Great game; loved it.

Raise your Goblets: Not the gamer's choice if one has to play a mainly random game.

Roll for the Galaxy: I'm always happy to play this. We were playing an expansion; I can't remember which one and it didn't seem to add much.

Russian Railroads: German Railroads: Crazy name, crazy game. It passes the time, but there are too many ways to score, so no one ever knows who's winning.

Skull: Reliable filler.

Splendor: Reliable slightly more than filler. I usually take this along and more often than not someone plays it at some point, which must prove something.


No comments:

Post a Comment